The Petroleum Technology Development Fund (PTDF), the Federal Government agency with the mandate of developing indigenous human capacity and petroleum technology to meet the needs of the oil and gas industry, invites applications from suitably qualified candidates for the overseas MSc and Ph.D. scholarships to specific programs at selected institutions under its PTDF Overseas Scholarship Scheme for the 2023–2024 academic session.
The scheme was developed to offer candidates the opportunity to benefit from a diversified pool of knowledge and the facilities offered by world-class institutions across the globe. Under it, candidates can apply through PTDF to specific programs at partner institutions. The award includes the provision of flight tickets, health insurance payment, tuition and bench fees (where applicable)and provisional allowances to meet the costs of accommodation and living expenses.
About the Petroleum Technology Development Fund (PTDF)
PTDF was created with a commitment focused on the development, promotion, and implementation of petroleum technology and manpower development through research and training of Nigerians as graduates, professionals, technicians, and craftsmen in the fields of engineering, geology, geosciences, management, economics, and other relevant fields in the petroleum and solid minerals industries, in Nigeria or abroad. The overseas scholarship scheme, part of PTDF, is an annual MSc and Ph.D. studies programme.
Requirements for PTDF Master’s Scholarship Qualification
- a minimum of a Second Class Upper (2.1) qualification in their first degree or a Second Class Lower (2.2) with relevant industry experience.
- must have completed the mandatory National Youth Service (NYSC)
- must be computer literate.
- Possession of 5 O-level credits, including English Language and Mathematics
- Statement of Purpose (maximum 500 words) stating the reason(s) for the proposed study, its relevance to the industry, and its expected impact on national development.
- Applicants must have a National Identity Number (NIN), and verification will be required (NIMC verification charges apply) before applying for the scholarship.
Interview date, process, and venue for the PTDF Masters Scholarship
PTDF scholarships are highly competitive, and only outstanding candidates across the board are selected.
Based on the submitted qualifications, the top applicants for each category from each state will be invited for an interview, where a selection committee will be formed to evaluate applications using the following criteria:
- Academic merit as evidenced by the quality of degrees, full academic transcripts, and other professional qualifications acquired
- Relevant publications to be referenced by the applicant (Ph.D. applicants only)
- Membership in professional bodies
- The viability of the study or research plan
Documents Required for the Application
Applicants are advised to scan copies of the following documents and attach them to their online application forms:
- First Degree Certificate or Statement of Result
- NYSC discharge certificate
- WAEC/GCE/SSCE/NECO results and the PINs on the application forms enable PTDF to view the O’level results on the relevant website.
- Photograph from a Recent Passport
- Local Government Identification Letter
- Master’s DegreeCertificate (for Ph.D. applicants only)
- Evidence of membership in professional associations
Note: Candidates who successfully scale through the first round of screening will be requested to submit their transcripts; All applicants are therefore advised to prepare their transcripts for submission in anticipation of such a request.
March 24, 2023